How to market a detergent in the EU (or the UK)
Before being placed on the European Union or British markets, detergents must comply with several pieces of legislation. The main ones are definitely the Detergent Regulation (EC) No 648/2004 and the Classification and Labelling (CLP) Regulation (EC) 1272/2008. On top of these two main requirements, and similarly to cosmetic products, detergents are also subject to the REACH Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006.
Compliance with several other legal texts may be needed for your detergent depending on its intended use, composition, and other parameters. For instance, detergents may also have to follow the rules of the Biocidal Product Regulation (BPR) (EU) 528/2012, or the Phosphorus Compounds Regulation (EU) 259/2012.
Finally, responsible detergent brands must comply with the good industry practices, such as the guidelines of the International Association for Soaps, Detergents and Maintenance Products (A.I.S.E.), the IFRA Standards related to the safe use of fragrance ingredients used in detergents. Other initiatives exist for detergent companies wishing to go the extra mile, such as the Ecolabel certification, which is a label of environmental excellence awarded to products meeting high environmental standards throughout their life-cycle.
BIORIUS offers an A to Z service allowing a reduced time-to-market
Biorius offers a full range of services to guide you through the regulatory evaluation and placing on the market of your detergents. Our services include:
- An Audit of your formula to identify your specific regulatory needs according to the scope of your product (Dishwashing products, general surface cleaner, Laundry care product, etc…)
- An assessment of Biodegradability and support in Biodegradability testing (since biodegradability is one of the main requirement of Detergent Regulation)
- An ingredient review and the preparation of your ingredient list to add to your label
- Your product classification and the creation of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- A toxicological risk assessment according to the International Association for Soaps, Detergents and Maintenance Products (A.I.S.E.) guidelines. Th specific words of precaution to be labeled on pack are provided.
- A finished product review to ensure that the regulatory dossier is exhaustive and fully compliant.
- A claim review to ensure that your marketing communication is in line with the relevant legal texts and industry practices.
- A label review to check that the consumer information that you provide complies with the relevant legislation.
- Biocidal regulation compliance review (if needed)
- Poison center notification (if needed)
- Restriction on phosphate compliance (if needed)
Our aim is to facilitate this complex regulatory process and make it as fast as possible by being your partner at every step and designing the best strategy toward market access. The entire process takes between 4 and 6 weeks once the documentation is provided and BIORIUS can review many of your detergents in parallel. Additional services may be offered depending on your needs and in a one-stop-shop perspective, such as the translation of your product labels.
On top of the product compliance, you need to take into account your REACH obligations, and in particular those concerning the registration of substances used in your detergents. This is important if your product is manufactured outside the European Union and/or the United Kingdom. However, if your product is not manufactured in the EU, you also have obligations and it is likely that no importer will accept to distribute your products in the EU or UK if you cannot demonstrate REACH compliance. Biorius can also help you assess your REACH regulatory obligations by auditing your supply chain and act as your “Only representative” if your company is not based in the EU and/or the UK. To know more about these specific services, please, consult our REACH web pages.