Importance of coral reef and Reef Friendly sunscreen for climate change
In recent years there has been a sharp rise in consumers caring more and more about their environmental impact and climate change. Biorius developed a Reef Friendly Certification therefore.
Coral reefs play a big part in providing an important ecosystem for underwater life. They act as a natural protection of coastal areas by reducing the power of waves hitting the coast and actively preventing the loss of aquatic life and shoreline erosion. And Biorius has developed a Reef Friendly Certification therefore.
Cosmetics, marine environment, Reef Friendly Certification and Reef Friendly sunscreen
A product assessed as safe for humans does not guarantee that it is safe for the environment or harmless for the aquatic ecosystem.
Unfortunately, some ingredients and chemicals found in cosmetic products can negatively affect sea life and increase water pollution, which in turn can cause serious damage to coral reefs leading to their destruction. Studies have shown that a large number of sunscreens contain ingredients that can damage marine ecosystems.
Showing a reef-friendly claim on your sunscreen products is a good way for you, as a cosmetics brand, to let consumers know that your products are harmless to marine flora and fauna.
Developed by scientists and regulatory experts, the BIORIUS ‘Reef-friendly’ certification is backed by robust evidence published in peer-reviewed articles and ensures compliance with relevant cosmetic legislations worldwide.
Reef Friendly certification criteria
To be certified ‘Reef Friendly’ by BIORIUS, a cosmetic product must be:
- Formulated without sunscreen ingredients toxic to coral reef:
- Oxybenzone (Benzophenone-3)
- Octinoxate (Octyl Methoxycinnamate)
- 4-Methylbenzylidene Camphor
- PABA derivatives (e.g. Ethylhexyl Dimethyl PABA and PEG-25 PABA)
- Octisalate (Ethylhexyl Salicylate)
- Avobenzone (Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane)
- Formulated without preservatives and additives toxic to coral reef:
- Formulated without nanomaterials
- Sunscreens must be water-resistant
Certification logo and validity
By fulfilling the ‘Reef Friendly’ certification, the brand receives:
- a signed certificate
- the right to use the BIORIUS’ ‘Reef Friendly’ logo on the label of your certified cosmetic products.
This certification remains valid as long as the composition of the cosmetic product does not change. However, if the composition does change, then the product will have to be audited to ensure that it still complies with the certification.
Need a piece of advice, a quotation or answers to your questions? Contact us…
Fill in this form or contact us directly: firstname.lastname@example.org – We will answer as soon as possible!
As specialists in cosmetic Regulations for more than 15 years, Biorius offers a reliable turnkey solution for placing cosmetic products in various markets:
- First Class specialists in cosmetic regulations in Europe, the United Kingdom, the United States, and in more than 60 countries
- 50 regulatory experts, toxicologists, pharmacists, and chemists to serve you.
- A unique model that guarantees you both the fastest turnaround possible and high-quality services. Curious? Ask us to know more!
- No hidden costs: Biorius does not charge you for any question, call, or meeting.
- A best-in-class IT tool, free of charge, and saving a lot of your time.
- More than 1,500 international clients have already chosen Biorius!
- We evaluated more than 100,000 products and never had any compliance issues (fines, withdrawals from the market, etc.) in 15 years of existence.
"*" indicates required fields