Importance of coral reef for climate change
In recent years there has been a sharp rise in consumers caring more and more about their environmental impact and climate change. Biorius developed a Reef Friendly Certification therefore.
Coral reefs play a big part in providing an important ecosystem for underwater life. They act as a natural protection of coastal areas by reducing the power of waves hitting the coast and actively preventing the loss of aquatic life and shoreline erosion. And Biorius has developed a Reef Friendly Certification therefore.
Cosmetics, marine environment and Reef Friendly Certification
A product assessed as safe for humans does not guarantee that it is safe for the environment or harmless for the aquatic ecosystem.
Unfortunately, some ingredients and chemicals found in cosmetic products can negatively affect sea life and increase water pollution, which in turn can cause serious damage to coral reefs leading to their destruction. Studies have shown that a large number of sunscreens contain ingredients that can damage marine ecosystems.
Showing a reef-friendly claim on your sunscreen products is a good way for you, as a cosmetics brand, to let consumers know that your products are harmless to marine flora and fauna.
Developed by scientists and regulatory experts, the BIORIUS ‘Reef-friendly’ certification is backed by robust evidence published in peer-reviewed articles and ensures compliance with relevant cosmetic legislations worldwide.
Reef Friendly certification criteria
To be certified ‘Reef Friendly’ by BIORIUS, a cosmetic product must be:
- Formulated without sunscreen ingredients toxic to coral reef:
- Oxybenzone (Benzophenone-3)
- Octinoxate (Octyl Methoxycinnamate)
- 4-Methylbenzylidene Camphor
- PABA derivatives (e.g. Ethylhexyl Dimethyl PABA and PEG-25 PABA)
- Octisalate (Ethylhexyl Salicylate)
- Avobenzone (Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane)
- Formulated without preservatives and additives toxic to coral reef:
- Formulated without nanomaterials
- Sunscreens must be water-resistant
Certification logo and validity
By fulfilling the ‘Reef Friendly’ certification, the brand receives:
- a signed certificate
- the right to use the BIORIUS’ ‘Reef Friendly’ logo on the label of your certified cosmetic products.
This certification remains valid as long as the composition of the cosmetic product does not change. However, if the composition does change, then the product will have to be audited to ensure that it still complies with the certification.