Are you planning to sell your cosmetics in the UK ?
To sell cosmetics in the United Kingdom, an UK Responsible Person (with offices in the UK) is legally mandatory. The United Kingdom formally left the European Union on January 31, 2020. Cosmetics companies had until December 31, 2020 (transition period) to comply with the requirements of the “The Product Safety and Metrology etc. (Amendment etc.) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019, Schedule 34”, the so-called “UK Cosmetics Regulation”.
So since January 31, 2020, any company wishing to sell cosmetic products in the United Kingdom, requires a Responsible Person (RP), established within the United Kingdom to be designated for each cosmetic product marketed within the UK territory. The role of the Responsible Person (often also called an UK Legal Representative or the UK Legal Representation), is to ensure continued product compliance with cosmetics regulations and safety regarding human health.
What is a UK Cosmetics Responsible Person?
A Responsible Person is a legal or natural person who ensures the compliance of each cosmetic product in the UK market with relevant obligations as set forth in this Regulation. It can be the manufacturer (if based in the UK), the importer, the distributor or a third party located in the UK who has been designated by a written mandate.
Obligations UK Responsible Person
The Responsible Person is in charge of ensuring that cosmetic products marketed in the UK comply with the “UK Cosmetics Regulation“. Among the numerous obligations, the Responsible Person for a cosmetic product must ensure:
- Safety with respect to human health and the production of a Cosmetic Product Safety Report (CPSR)
- Compliance of labeling, including a claims substantiation
- Compliance with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
- Proper maintenance of the Product Information File (PIF)
- Notification in the new British notification portal (UK SCPN: Submit Cosmetic Product Notification)
- Compliance related to nanomaterials
- Ongoing monitoring of the product, including the reporting of any undesirable or serious side effects to the relevant authorities.
In addition to ensuring compliance with the requirements, the Responsible Person, must demonstrate that it has the expertise and the financial resources to carry out its duties.
UK Responsible Person, Biorius’s Expertise
Founded in 2008 and serving in the role of Responsible Person for more than 500 brands (and more than 20,000 products), Biorius has acquired in-depth expertise with the local authorities within the UK, the OPSS (Office Product Safety & Standards). With a team of more than 50 multicultural experts, Biorius has the ability to address all potential questions from the OPSS. We have the expertise and resources at Biorius. We can effectively fulfill this role for your cosmetics company.
As Responsible Person within the UK, Biorius:
- Represents and defends your cosmetic brand to the UK authorities (OPSS – Office Product Safety & Standards).
- Assists your cosmetic brand with any legal questions related to the UK Cosmetics Regulation
- Manages customer complaints if and when they arise
- Performs regulatory monitoring and guarantees the ongoing compliance of your cosmetic products by taking into consideration any regulatory changes
- Manages any undesirable effects from your cosmetic products
- Ensures that your Product Information File is up to date
Your cosmetics brand has the option of using the Biorius name and address on its labels. This means that Biorius is designated as a contact for UK authorities who, in the event of a regulatory inspection or consumer complaint, would have us handle the case on your behalf.
It is important to note that being a Responsible Person implies many responsibilities and is an important and delicate matter that should not be taken lightly, check out why.
If you wish to develop the sales of your cosmetic products in UK, this is something Biorius can help you with. Biorius can indeed support the complete UK Cosmetics regulation process.
- Specialized in cosmetic regulations in Europe, the United Kingdom, the United States, and in more than 60 countries.
- A Responsible Person in the UK (and Europe).
- Mainly composed of 50 regulatory experts, specialists, toxicologists and scientists (chemists and biologists)
- Reassuring and comfortable: we have more than 1,500 international clients, we have already evaluated more than 100,000 products and we never had any compliance issues (fines, withdrawals of the market, etc.) in 15 years of existence.
Need a piece of advice, a quotation or answers to your questions? Contact us…
Fill in this form or contact us directly – we will answer as soon as possible!